Monday, August 10, 2009

The Beginning

In the beginning I was playing hacker games.  Exploitable Web pages made, to be hacked. There was a Hungarian website supported by Microsoft, but those missions are long gone, so I won't give you any link. Today some cryptographic mission can be found there, not too interesting. From the 10 missions available I think I succeeded 8 of them. 

Then I went out in search for other hacker games, and I found http://www.hackthissite.org and some other sites, but I couldn't even complete the basic missions. Looking at the solution just lacked the fun.

When I couldn't think of anything new, I started writing my own web page, with the intention of making it's code public. Until I finished the registration system of the website I got bored, and stopped building it. That was... hacking as a game.

But long lost something changed. As a response to topic post of mine, somebody asked me to test he's page's hackable points. Briefly he asked me to hack hes web page. It was one of those web pages I really knew. It was almost the first site I hang, after getting Internet (few years ago). It's the biggest Hungarian site of it's topic, with more then 50000 registered users. It's code is huge, with almost any service you can think about: login system, forum, image gallery, PM system, torrent tracker, file-exchange and many more. When I tried writing my own web sites I used it's HTML and CSS codes for reference.

That was it, I started studying about attacks against websites to hack that website. And when I first found a hole, I couldn't believe my eyes.

No comments: